Iunona Ilina Flash-Interview:
“Current aspects of the personnel assessment in the company”
Conference «Personnel Assessment».
1. What key trends do you see in the approaches to the personnel assessment?
Our response will be based on three questions: WHY, WHAT, HOW. Today the target approach to evaluating personnel is updated (approach, aiming at realizing the objectives of the company). WHY? this is the first question, which manager asks:
• Will the introduction of evaluation system in the company give more efficiency and the set result of work? How much will it cost (in resources, risks and benefits)
• WHAT? Get the answers to the question and determine the appropriateness of the introduction of the evaluation system for them, the company determines what needs to be assessed to obtain the desired motivational impact.
• And as a result the company sets for itself HOW it will implement the project of the assessment (methodology, format). Properly designed evaluation system can identify and assess not only the competence of the employees, but also to identify problem areas in the company and find solutions.
2. Name the reasons, the basis for the introduction of a systematic evaluation of the personnel?
In short, apart from academic (basic, theoretical) reasons (strategic objective of the company, the dynamics of development, ways to improve the efficiency of the staff), the systematic evaluation requires a COMMITMENT of the company, in terms of resources and procedures. What is meant here is that they are prepared, have evaluated, and if as a result there is no action then the company is still NOT READY. That is, the working systematic assessment is available there, where there is a working-target package (there are goals, the decomposition of them already took place, the staff knows about their goals and evaluation and motivation systems are linked with them, the stimulus system is already built (sometimes it is named a MOTIVATION SYSTEM).
3. What approaches, concepts did you use creating a system of evaluation?
HR should have in the arsenal A LITTLE BUT HIS/HER approach (matching it to the company). We used:
• Assessment Center (comprehensive assessment)
• assessment of 360 degrees,
• rating score on the BARS scale,
• management using objectives assessment,
• grades system
• LAB, etc.
In the company of our clients we introduce “Integrated systems of evaluation Pocherk”- this is our authoring.
In all of our methodologies we are guided by this principle: simple and working solutions to complex situations.
Here we will talk about the most universal in their efficiency: it is possible to use them for different tasks - from creating a model of competence, conducting a structured diagnostic interview, assessment - to accompany the restructuring and implementation of various projects (information support), creating motivating environment for the staff, selection of the teams and the establishment of the personnel pool. This tool is called a LAB-profile.
4. What difficulties do you face while implementing the evaluation system? Have you faced the resistance of the staff to the evaluation process? What are the conditions of the efficiency of the project for the implementation of the evaluation system?
We combine the answers to these questions.
The staff is always watching with interest the evaluation procedures, and tries to watch their results, the results depend exactly on the person, who conducts the assessment - With the introduction of “new” in the company, we suggest to take into account the “semaphore of adoption”.
What is it?
It includes 4 stages:
• 1st “Rejecting new”: NO, WE DON”T NEED THIS! EVERYTHING IS OK AS IS!.
• 2nd “Checking the strength”. AND ARE YOU SURE THAT…??? * List of provocative questions is huge!
• 3rd «Magnifier» - THIS IS BEAUTIFUL BUT WILL IT WORK WITH US?
• 4th “The acceptance of the new” OKAY! YOU WILL NOT LEAVE US IN ANY CASE...
Duration of the process of passing through the “semaphore” is different, 5-15% of the stuff will “fly through” with the speed invisible to you, 70-80% will “stick” longer, and 5-15% would oppose to the Second Coming ... The good news is that, after adopting they will stick to it with the same devotion.
In the first phase of implementation of evaluation of the staff there are always people who reluctantly participate actively in the project. They need information about the assessment, its purposes, what it may result at, and how the results will be used. To pass the phase of “non-acceptance” on the part of HR, the consultant, the manager must provide the necessary information in the correct form and answer all the questions of the employee. And only after obtaining full information maximum tension level is reduced and people are willing to cooperate.
Necessary conditions for effective implementation of the project evaluation system - is, firstly understanding of the NECESSITY of establishing a system of evaluation by the head of the company (there is CUSTOMER top). Secondly, evaluation system in the company will be effective only when it interacts with other HR - systems in the company: the training and development system, the motivation system
5. Is there a fundamental difference between the assessments of top-staff, middle management, workers?
In technology of assessment there is no difference in the contents. The main differences are the criteria for evaluation and, accordingly, evaluation methods, which are being used. There is a universal method of assessing - LAB - profile, which is applicable to all categories of personnel, only the width of usage of the tool is different.
6.How to use the results of the evaluation? What further steps should be taken by the company after assessing?
The result of the evaluation depends on the set goal. If the objective is an assessment of coincidence of the position-action=decisions TOP. Results of the assessment may suggest the head a wide variety of solutions: transfer to a higher position, or upgrading of the rank within the position, the direction for the training, the re-appraisal, dismissal for non-conformity to the position, etc. This decision must be weighed carefully and thoroughly justified. If the goal is a regular assessment for the implementation of the goals - the result should be a range of remedial and supportive actions (from the mentoring and training to the rotation).
7. What does the customer expect from the service provider in the field of evaluation?
The easiest answer is “return of investments” and to answer the question HOW the staff can be more efficient.
8. Are there the objective constraints that impede the HR department to build the system of evaluation by their own?
Yes, there are. Professionalism, complex HR and goal package makes it possible to conduct regular evaluation of the staff. The question is about our OWN successful experience that shows the evaluation system in which the better development was taking place:
• The TOP of the company cannot be estimated by the personnel department, HR can make the methodology, developer, but the first people will assess.
• Criteria for evaluating the functional units “are created” by their leader
• Principles of the assessment should be developed in conjunction with the TOPs of the other departments as well as the activities of after-evaluation.
• The main principle is that HR is the methodologist of evaluation systems. Company = The client, which means it acts as a person WHO SPECIFIES the criteria and methods of evaluation and the methodologist may correct, and adopt or propose a qualitative method of implementation.
9. What key aspects do you plan to stay at in your speech? What knowledge will the participants of your master-class be able to get?
The main purpose of this master class will be acquaintance with the method of a LAB-profile, which enables to apply it in practice for understanding, forecasting and management of such important items:
• The behavior of employees.
• Influence on staff.
• The values and motivational factors
• Projections of the success of the position in accordance with the requirements of the company.
• Getting good results from the employee based on his/her enthusiasm (in the use of LAB results) and the use of his/her strengths.
• Risks decrease of employee weaknesses.
We have already trained more than 5 trainers and hundreds of companies, it is always easily learned, we note the high % of availability and use. Come to us! Check yourself.